Friday, August 12, 2016

Hard Drive Crash

Hey Everyone,

So if you've been following along on Twitter, you'd have had a good laugh at my expense today. Last night the HDD crashed on the trusty laptop.

I tried everything, fsck, etc. Nothing. Bad sectors, probably physical damage! But, I finally had enough of these physical hard drives always eventually breaking, and finally broke down and bought a SSD for the laptop. This Computer flys now!

So, that being said, I had to re-download Kali Linux, and being that my main laptop just died, and no external CD/DVD writers around for the tablets/smart phones, I broke out a very old, highly abused windows XP laptop I found laying around. It only had a CD burner, but I wanted the full ISO of Kali. So, that won't fit on a CD.

Plan B: I had to download the large ISO over WiFi. No big deal, but now I remember why I tossed that WinXP Laptop into the back of the closet. The wifi card randomly kills the signal, and of course the ancient hardware. So imagine downloading 2.8GB of an iso, over a spotty wifi and only 512MB Ram!

Finally got it downloaded, and made a bootable USB jump drive, then installed to this Laptop from that!

Happy Friday

:-)

5 comments:

  1. I got one of these a few years ago works perfectly: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235059 (I think mine is a slightly older model)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased a sandisk 240GB sataIII and I got to say, with encrypted LVM, I Have a boot time 6-7 seconds from LVM password to gui login.

      Delete
    2. The Zalman is a portable HDD case. But it has a bootable Virtual CD drive. In the root directory you put a folder "_iso" then you just put any bootable iso in the folder, then when you boot up a computer used the boot menu and it will show up as a portable CD drive. On the HDD is a small screen and switch so you can select want image you want to boot to.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete