Tuesday, August 25, 2015

zscaler - Fake it till you make it?

So on the twitter sphere today, I saw a post about this website; http://securitypreview.zscaler.com/ which is supposed to be some "in the cloud" network security company, I guess? And their free check up script is supposed to do an "Automated Audit" on your system, via the web browser. I know right, silly to even type this, but that's the claim.

Well apparently some of us professionals in the know tried it out. And no matter your OS, Device, Browser, etc, we noticed that every single time on ANYTHING, this scan would tell you that you are Vulnerable to the "zbot Virus", which oddly enough, their company name also starts with a "z" as in "ZScaler" Twitter @zscaler. Coincidence? I think not. Scareware, I think yes.

Just imagine for a second, if you will, some overly zealous CEO of some small-medium corporation coming across this advertisement. He figures, sure, why not, I'll run a free scan! I'll show those over priced infosec companies, HA!

He then sees he's vulnerable to some erroneous "zbot" virus. "OH NO!" he exclaims, and promptly follows the companies call to action to sign up for their "service". Sigh.. we've all been saying this for years, this was bound to happen. but what Mr CEO Doesn't realize -- and it's our jobs to educate them on this -- is that Network Security auditing and/or Penetration Testing involves (should always) thinking outside the box. There is absolutely no "canned" or out of the box magic protection software/technology. It's not possible, and everyone who thinks that is just another foolish sheep.

Anyway, I know exactly nothing else about the above mentioned company, however, I do know that what they are doing is an underhanded, shady practice no different from any other traditional scareware tactics.

By the way, as I mentioned, it doesnt matter the platform you're on, they tell you that you are vulnerable to the zbot virus. I googled the zbot virus, and the only systems it can infect is

Trojan
Systems Affected:
Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Notice it doesn't say anything about Linux/Unix or android, mac, etc. Yet on all of those devices, it said I was vulnerable.

Reference

-AfterBurn

No comments:

Post a Comment